Excerpt from Bob Rolling's Woodturner's Psalm
Next General Meeting:Thursday, December 14th, 2017
Our very own Shawn will be presenting “thumbthings”. It is a unique turned object used for those who are still reading paper back novels. The turning involves both faceplate and spindle turning. It is an ideal gift for book lovers.
Also, the ever-popular Spin Top Contest will be held (see rules below)
And in the well-known WGO tradition for everyone's enjoyment
please bring a refreshment of your choice(a small amount - maybe 6 pieces)
Next Skills Night meeting:
January 25th 2018
Specifics to be announced later
Send ideas for this or any future skills night to: Richard
Click on "Techniques" for all skills night projects
Rules for the Spin Top ContestDecember 14th general meeting
- 1. Contest open to all WGO members.
- 2. Spin top must be made entirely of wood (one or multiple pieces).
- No other material is to be included in any form.
- Finish may be none, oil, varnish, dye, ink or paint.
3. Top must be made from domestic Canadian tree species.
4. Spinning by fingers or palms only, no string pull or other mechanism
- 5. Maximum sizes:
- 5. Maximum sizes:
- Diameter: 2.5 inches (63.5mm)
- Height: 3 inches (76mm)
6. Spin time measurement:
- Time will start when contestants hand(s) let go of the top.
- Time will end when any part of the top's edge touches the arena.
7. Contestants have three chances to start the top.
- If the third try is unsuccessful, contestant must 'go to the end of the line' before another try can be taken.
8. Multiple spins with the same tops are allowed, one successful spin
If there are any questions regarding the rules, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 416 266 5265
Looking to buy a drill press
For Sale:Canwood Mini Lathe
used almost exclusively for pens and other small projects
2017 Salon Results
Society of Canadian Woodworkers
Web site for the SCW
Web site includes a chat forum.
Ongoing project. Plans (here) Make one or a dozen. . .Read More...